Considering Providing Child Care?

CCR&R is here to help you start your child care business. Attend a FREE Business Start-Up session to learn about regulation types steps needed to start the process for each type of regulation, programs designed to assist you as a child care provider, and other community resources. 

2019 CCR&R Business Start Up Sessions- click here to download flyer

You have three options to provide certified or licensed child care

1. Licensed Group Child Care Centers care for nine or more children. The lead teachers are required to complete 80 hours of early childhood education. When caring for children under the age of 2, providers are required to complete an infant/toddler course.

2. Licensed Family Child Care providers care for four to eight children. A licensed family child care provider is required to complete 40 hours of early childhood education. When caring for children under the age of 2, providers are required to complete an infant/toddler course.

3. Certified Child Care Providers care for up to six children. There are two levels of certification to choose from: provisional and regular. A provisional certified provider is required to have Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) reduction training and Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) Risk  Reduction training. A regular certified provider is required to have the SIDS and the SBS training along with some additinal training in early childhood education.

Entry Level Courses-Entry_level_classes.pdf

Pre-licensing – CCR&R provides pre-licensing services for potential new family and group child care programs in Calumet, Fond Du Lac, Green Lake, Manitowoc, Outagamie, Sheboygan, Waupaca, and Winnebago Counties. Fill out this child care licensing inquiry packet form to get started.

Getting Started:
Licensed Family Child Care

Getting Started:
Licensed Group Child Care Centers

Licensing Manual and Forms for Group and Family Child Care Programs:

To Become a County Certified Child Care Provider:  Are you interested in caring for children in your home? Are you able to provide that care in a safe and nurturing environment? Become certified by the county in which you live. Click HERE to contact CCR&R staff to learn about your next steps to becoming a certified family child care provider! 

There are two levels of certification to choose from:

Provisional Certification - Like other forms of regulation Provisional Certification can be used by individuals who care for children who are related to them as well as non-related children. Minimal training is required. An initial site visit is made to establish basic health and safety requirements. Other requirements include: 

  • Criminal records check and background verification form for provider and any family member who is 12 years or older
  • Provider TB test and any approved substitutes
  • SIDS reduction training
  • Shaken Baby Syndrome Training

considering page

Regular Certification

Requires the provider to meet all standards for Provisional certification, plus:

  • Additional training (you may already have training that qualifies).
  • May care for no more than 3 children under the age of 7 and three children over the age of 7 years (also applies to Provisional Certified Providers).

For FREE information on becoming licensed or county certified, call Child Care Resource & Referral at 920-886-1211. 

CCR&R provides certification services for Outagamie, Waupaca, Winnebago and Green Lake Counties. Phone: 920-886-0428 and ask for Lesa, or Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

All other counties click: child care certification

Certification Manual and Forms


FaLang translation system by Faboba